The Pensions Authority would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

I accept cookies from this site You must tick the 'I accept cookies from this site' box to accept.

In order to personalise your content you must select all three options

State pensions


You will be entitled to a contributory State pension if you pay sufficient PRSI contributions at the appropriate rate while in paid employment. Credits received by you while in receipt of certain social welfare payments or allowances (for example if you are sick or unemployed) can also help you to qualify for social welfare payments.

If you do not qualify for a contributory State pension and your income is below a certain level, you may be entitled to a non-contributory State pension.

To satisfy the means test, your income, as assessed in accordance with certain rules, must be below a certain level.