The Pensions Authority would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

I accept cookies from this site You must tick the 'I accept cookies from this site' box to accept.

In order to personalise your content you must select all three options

Pensions on separation and divorce

Payment of designated retirement benefit

Payment of the designated benefit would generally commence when the remainder of the retirement benefit starts to be paid to the member spouse or civil partner. Alternatively, if the pension adjustment order is made in favour of the dependent spouse or civil partner (rather than for the benefit of a dependent child) he or she may elect to establish an independent benefit instead.

A transfer payment is then applied (in either the same scheme or another pension arrangement) to provide independent benefits for the dependent spouse or civil partner.

Agreement of trustees to the establishment of an independent benefit is required where occupational pension schemes are involved. No agreement is required where it has been established under a personal pension or a PRSA.

In a defined benefit scheme the transfer amount is calculated by reference to the member spouse's/civil partner's salary at the date the transfer is calculated. The non-member spouse/civil partner does not get the benefit of any salary increases (and equally does not suffer any salary decreases) the member spouse/civil partner receives between the date of the transfer amount and the date the member spouse/civil partner retires, dies or leaves service (whichever is the earlier).